Thursday 1 March 2012

My 80's & more






I was BORN in the 80's. The last SANE generation! Oh yes. . .the last. And the hybrid generation.

We are the last generation that learnt to play in the street, we are the first to have played video games, seen cartoons with no color and went to amusement parks.

We are the last to record songs off the radio on cassettes. I remember when I used to wait patiently in front of my radio on Saturdays and Sundays just to record my favourite songs from Rick Dees Top 40 countdown.

We pioneered the use of
Walkman and chatrooms before it got loose. My walkman used to be my companion. There was a time my Walkman got damage and I begged my brother to buy me another, he refused, saying Walkmans were no more being sold in the UK. I was so angry with him I cried my eyes out. Then one day he said: "Sis don't worry I will get you something better than a Walkman".
I wondered what could be better than my dear Walkman. The next week he sent me my first iPod and I went into a frenzy. I just couldn't believe it. To me then it was just the most amazing thing ever.

We Learned how to program the VCR before anyone else; played with the ...atari, ten- ten,boju-boju, Nintendo and believed that the Internet would be a free world.
We are the generation of the Thunder Cats, Scooby doo, Super Ted, Captain Planet, Willi willi, G.I. JOE, Battle of the planet, Voltron *the last episode was a classic by the way*, Sesame street, Muppet Babies and The Masquerade. Those were classic days.

We Traveled in cars without seat belts or air-bags - lived without cell phones. Rode our bicycles down the road without brakes.
We never had GSMs but still kept in touch. We did not have Play stations, 99 television stations, rather we waited till 4pm to open our 'cupboard' television for NTA. Had no flat screens, surround sound, mp3s, iPods, computers and the Internet, ...but nevertheless we had a GREAT Time !!! ... I am proud to have been born in the 80's !

Location:Omoalade Alafia St,Lagos,Nigeria

1 comment:

LIBERTY said...

First, i'm so proud of you, the new look of your blog and the courage to write interests me, i have always told you that you will make the best of writers/bloggers. second, you reminded me of where i am coming from, infact, they taught us English using vernacular in our primary school. Finally, i want to say that i will look forward to your writings more frequently. You'll go far baby! keep it up.